Pune, Maharashtra | Approved By : NAAC | Estd:
The Deccan College, Post-Graduate and Research Institute, Pune is the third most established Educational Institute in India. The Hindoo College was begun on sixth October, 1821 by the Bombay Presidency Government at the activity of its Governor, Mountstuart Elphinstone by utilizing the Dakshina Fund, which was begun by Khanderao Dabhade, a Maratha Sardar and proceeded by the Peshwas for proliferating Sanskrit ponders. This College developed from solidarity to quality and has risen as a first Institute in the realm of higher learning and research. It was renamed as the Poona College on seventh June, 1851 and later as the Deccan College in October 1864. The Deccan College was moved to the new grounds covering a territory of 115 sections of land close Yerawada on 23rd March 1868. With the assistance of a muneficent award of Rs. 1 lakh given by Sir Jamsetji Jejeebhoy, the primary structure of the College was worked in lovely Gothic engineering. The Deccan College has, from that point forward, delivered a system of understudies who rose to places of greatness in different backgrounds. They incorporate Sir Ramlkrishna Gopal Bhandarkar, the observed Indologist, Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak, the extraordinary patriot pioneer, Gurudev Ramchandra Dattratreya Ranade, the prominent logician, Gopal Ganesh Agarkar, the incredible social reformer, Vishwanath Kashinath Rajawade, the celebrated student of history, Dr. Dwarkanath Kotnis, the well known Indian medicinal expert who rendered yeoman administration in China, and so on.
The College was shut somewhere near the British Government in 1934, but since of the endeavors of the past understudies and the open lively residents, it was revived on seventeenth August 1939 as Deccan College, Post-Graduate and Research Institute, by the Transfer Deed gone by the Hon'ble Bombay High Court. The Past Students Association of this University is developing in quality and effectively takes an interest in the improvement of the University