Guwahati, Assam | Approved By : MCI | Estd: 1956
Dr. Bhubaneswar Borooah Cancer Institute (BBCI) was created by a voluntary organization known as 'Dr. B. Borooah Cancer Society Trust'. Dr Bhubaneswar Borooah (4th Sept 1893 - twenty-fifth Sept 1956) was an excellent medical man, subverter and presenter of Assam. In 1958 at a public meeting in Guwahati, a choice was taken to line up a cancer hospital at Guwahati to commemorate the memory of Dr. Bhubaneswar Borooah. Late Debendra Nath Sarma was the Founder President and Late Dr Kanak Chandra Borooah, illustrious brother of Dr. Bhubaneswar Borooah was the Founder Secretary. Late Bimala Prasad Chaliha, Mahendra Mohan Choudhury, Bishnuram Medhi, Dr Ghanashyam Das, Dr Birendra Nath Choudhury and lots of others worked unrelentingly for the event of the Institute since its beginning.
The Institute was formally inaugurated on eighteenth November 1973 and have become operational from 1974. The Institute was recognized as Regional Cancer Centre by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of Asian country within the year 1980. On sixth of August, 1986 the Institute was bimanual over to the govt of Assam by the B Borooah Cancer Society Trust holding its autonomy. the primary multilateral Agreement for the betterment of the Institute involving the North Japanese Council, Government of Assam and also the Department of energy, Govt. of Asian country became operational from November 1989. This multilateral arrangement for funding and management of the Institute continued until 2017. On the request of the then Chief Minister of Assam Shri Tarun Gogoi and also the gift Chief Minister of Assam Shri Sarbananda Sonowal, the cupboard Committee on Security below the situation of the Hon’ble Prime Minister of Asian country Shri Narendra Modi on seventh of June 2017 approved taking up of Dr B Borooah Cancer Institute, Guwahati by Department of energy, Govt. of Asian country as Grant-in-Aid Institute and as a unit of Tata Memorial Centre (Mumbai). The Institute was formally confiscated by Department of energy, Govt. of Asian country on twenty-seventh November 2017 as a unit of Tata Memorial Centre, Mumbai.